Most people can return to their normal routine within 3-5 days after Rhinoplasty. However, proper post-operative care with rhinoplasty should still be maintained months following the surgery to ensure the best outcome. After surgery, you should avoid strenuous activity for at least 3-4 weeks, but you can return to your social activities as soon as you feel up to it.
What to Expect During Recovery
- Because the back of your nose connects to your throat and stomach, blood can easily be swallowed during surgery. While this is harmless, it could result in nausea and may cause you to throw up a black-looking mixture a few hours after surgery. The nausea should subside once you throw up, but if it continues contact your doctor.
- During the first day or so, your nose will probably ache, your face will look swollen and puffy and you may feel like you have a really bad head cold. Luckily, your doctor will prescribe pain medicine to help counteract any discomfort you may feel.
- You may also have problems breathing, since the nasal passages will likely be swollen, but that should go away after a few days.
- In most cases, you will be required to wear a nasal splint for the first week after rhinoplasty.
- Don’t be afraid if you have deep bruising around the eyes, it is quite common and will go away after a couple weeks.
When Can I See Results from Rhinoplasty?
Expect for the tip of your nose to heal the slowest, since that area get less blood flowing through it.
After the two week mark, you will have a minor degree of swelling, but it will only be noticed by you and your surgeon. The puffiness will go away completely over the next six months and the shape of your nose will finally be apparent.
Healing takes time, so be patient. You can expect to see the final results of your rhinoplasty six to twelve months after your surgery.
For before and after photos of Dr. Garlich’s patients see our gallery.
Garlich Facial Plastics is located in Gainesville, Georgia. Our certified facial plastic surgeon and otolaryngologist, Dr. Garlich, has become a sought after cosmetic rhinoplasty surgeon. Dr. Garlich performs both primary and revision Rhinoplasty. Learn what previous patients have to say or contact us today for a free consultation with Dr. Garlich.