A Guide to the Brow Lift Procedure
Those looking for a more youthful appearance often turn to surgery to help them turn the clock back on father time. Some of the most popular facial surgeries today include a facelift, eyelid surgery and rhinoplasty, or nasal surgery. One of the most effective facial surgeries however is the brow lift. A brow lift is not the same as eyelid surgery. Eyelid surgery is a specific facial cosmetic surgery that entails removing excess skin, fat or muscle from droopy upper and lower eyelids. A brow lift, or also known as a forehead lift, is a procedure that helps reduce creases that appear with age in the forehead.
Your face is an area on your body that shows your true feelings through expressions. If you have unflattering expressions lines or creases in your forehead then you may consider having a brow lift. A brow lift will help:
- Improve “frown lines” or “crow’s feet” that form on the outer edges of your eyes.
- Minimize the creases that develop across your forehead.
- Raise your eyebrows to a more alert position which can help present a more vibrant and youthful appearance.
Choosing the Right Surgeon
There are many facial cosmetic surgeons from which to choose from, so it is important you choose one that is right for your need. Once you have identified the right physician for you based on their experience, certifications, and understanding of your specific need, it is important you discuss with them what to expect before, during and after the procedure. Below are basic helpful tools for you as you look to gain a better understanding of what you can expect from an eyelid surgery.
- Before the Procedure – Your surgeon will evaluate your general health status. The ideal candidate for a brow lift is a healthy individual who are realistic about the physical and emotional results from the procedure. It is important that you disclose any medical conditions to your doctor during this time. This may include any sort of drug allergies or medical treatments you have had in the past. Much like other facial surgeries, you will also be asked to get a medical evaluation, take certain medications and be asked to stop smoking in preparation for your surgery. Be sure to discuss the specific things you need to do the night before and the morning of your procedure.
- During the Procedure – Historically this procedure was performed with incisions that stretched across the scalp from one ear to the other however, most patients with a normal or low set hairline are ideal candidates for an endoscopic brow lift that is performed through three or four incisions in the hairline that are neither noticeable nor uncomfortable. For those patients with a high or receding hairline, the endoscopic technique can be used with a small skin excision to prevent further heightening of the hairline.
- After the Procedure – A brow lift is a procedure that is often performed as an outpatient treatment. A brow lift is performed under light anesthesia. Patients may experience a slight headache in the first 12-24 hours which is easily treated with pain relievers, and will have some swelling and bruising of the brow and upper eyelids for 48-72 hours. After 72 hours, the patient can return to a majority of daily activities. Heating will continue to get better in time. As the swelling subsides and the incision lines fade away, you will see the full results of the brow lift procedure.
Understanding the Risks
It is important to understand that any facial surgery includes a certain level of risk. No matter how small or insignificant you may think the surgery is, there are always risks involved. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Unfavorable scarring
- Elevated hairline
- Facial asymmetry
- Skin loss
- Eye irritation or dryness
- Persistent pain
- Skin discoloration
Garlich Facial Plastics wants to help provide as much helpful information to anyone looking to have facial cosmetic work performed. Dr. Paul Garlich is the only board certified; fellowship trained facial plastic surgeon in Gainesville, Georgia. His experience and knowledge of facial plastic surgery procedures makes him one of the most sought after surgeons in the state. Learn more about Dr. Garlich and his philosophy to facial surgery by contacting him today.